Project Initiation and Business Case Development
Project Management Track
COP Sponsors: Project Management, Operations Management and the Japan Affiliate
As a Project Manager, it is our job to manage a project effectively to achieve success, and mitigate against project risk. To aid in that effort, the PM COP has developed a series of five distinct project case studies throughout the Conference. The first session will introduce Project Initiation and Business Case Development.
A strong business case is your best weapon in getting your project approved by the powers that be. This workshop will take delegates through everything they need to create and present a business case. Using the ISPE Good Practice Guide: Project Management as a knowledge platform, delegates will be shown how to justify the reasons for proposing the project in terms of the measurable benefits to the organization vs. the costs incurred, the return on investment, and how the project will further strategic business objectives and align with other projects.
Case Study examples will show how to back up the effort with information on team resource requirements, assumptions about the project environment that will be necessary for success, and how to mitigate the risks. Further, the roll of an influential project sponsor or sponsors in helping the project to get approved and funded and in supporting the project throughout its lifecycle will be explored.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Understand the role of project management during project initiation
- Apply project management skills throughout the project
- Describe the tasks required to manage a project throughout the lifecycle
- Jeff Campie, USA
- Richard Forsyth, Senior Consultant, Hyde Engineering + Consulting, USA
- Nigel Hamilton, Global Quality, Strategy and Process Excellence, Sanofi Aventis, United Kingdom
- Aisling Horan, Validation Scientist, Alkermes Plc, Ireland
- Edwin Melendez, Principle Consultant, Parexel, USA
- Mark O'Reilly, Director Engineering, Alkermes Pharma Ireland Ltd, Ireland
- Kimberly Ray, A. Director Project Mgmt, Oso Biopharmaceuticals Mfg LLC, USA
- Julian Wilkins, Vice President, PharmaConsult US Inc, USA
- Paul Wreglesworth, Independent Consultant, United Kingdom